Things To Do In Kennebunk, Maine and Beyond
Discover the variety of things to do in Kennebunk, Maine and embrace the laid-back attitude of New England. Our ideal little slice of the coast includes some of the best beaches, downtown shopping, and tantalizing restaurants in the area. Port Inn Kennebunk is nestled just outside the quaint downtown center and halfway between Portsmouth and Portland, offering the perfect opportunity for an exciting day trip! Downtown Kennebunkport is just a trolley ride away, and the nearby Museum in the Streets brochure has a collection of popular walking tours.
Experience the charm of Dock Square in Kennebunkport and linger oceanside with a cocktail at sunset. There are so many possible combinations of things to do in Kennebunk, Maine, and we’ve got some sample itineraries to help you get started! We also have bicycles, beach passes, beach chairs, and umbrellas available for guest use!
Still finding your way around? Let us show you the ropes and different points of interest in the Kennebunks and downtown Kennebunkport for yourself on our handy map!
The Local Lingo
Let us help you find your way around the area!
- Downtown Kennebunk: Just a 0.5-mile walk from our hotel, this small downtown area includes a selection of restaurants, coffee shops, and stores. Walk through Museum in the Streets or catch the trolley stop for Kennebunkport.
- Downtown Kennebunkport: Encompassing Dock Square and Kennebunk Lower Village, it's just 10-minute drive or trolley ride to the main tourist hub in town, bustling with many more shops, restaurants, and attractions.
Take a day trip along the Maine coastline to visit charming beach towns and the surrounding region!
- The Kennebunks: Collectively refers to Kennebunk and Kennebunkport, including Cape Porpoise and often parts of Arundel.
- Southern Maine Coast region: Spanning the coast from Kittery up to Portland – with The Kennebunks situated halfway between – "Maine’s southern coast embodies the state slogan ‘Vacationland," according to Lonely Planet.
Enjoy a half mile walk from our town into the center of downtown. Once a ship-building town, Kennebunk has retained a charming historic quality, complete with salt of the ocean and warm local humor.
- Brick Store Museum: Discover Kennebunk history through art, history, and the museum’s growing collection of artifacts with rare chests, quilts with secret pouches, pieces from shipwrecks, and rare WWI and II posters.
- Seashore Trolley Museum: Visit the oldest and largest electric railway museum in the world, with over 250 transit vehicles. Open seasonally and great for kids!
Wondering what to do in Kennebunk for history buffs? Step back in time to tour these historic attractions:
- Franciscan Monastery: Enjoy a peaceful visit to the beautiful gardens and catacombs of the church, which has guided tours and ‘behind the scenes’ information about the monastery.
- Southern Maine Antique Mile: Some of the best antique shops in the region are located along Route 1. Discover hidden treasures and rare finds along the gorgeous drive!
The Kennebunk Beaches
Not only are we ten minutes from the ocean, but we have beach passes at the front desk so that parking is a breeze! Splash around the shallows, build sandcastles, and host a lobster bake on the sand, one of our favorite things to do in Kennebunk. The Kennebunk Beaches are all connected by sidewalks, perfect for families with strollers or looking to bike alongside beach-goers!
- Gooch’s Beach: Popular on a summer day, come early to mark your spot near the seawall at low tide.
- Middle Beach: More rocky than sandy, hang out to watch the waves in a lounge chair with a book.
- Mother’s Beach: Kids can splash in the mild surf and tide pools at this family-friendly beach with an adjacent playground.
Head further downtown to the stunning and quaint Kennebunkport, which boasts Dock Square and gorgeous views of the ocean. Visit historic landmarks like Walker's Point, the ever-popular Goose Rocks Beach, and the Bush family summer residence across the water. Discover our favorite ways to experience Kennebunkport, and the surrounding area. A highlight reel:
- Boutique shopping
- Five-star restaurants
- Long sandy beaches
- Scenic drives
- Picturesque lighthouses
Broadway Musicals and Live Music
Add to your list of things to do in Kennebunk a night spent enjoying live music, a dynamic play, or a top-notch Broadway musical.
- Vinegar Hill Music Theatre: This historic venue showcases national and local music talent, with a variety of genres including cabaret, classical, rock, blues, and folk. The outdoor garden area is perfect for a pre-show cocktail and sets you up for a captivating evening. Port Inn Kennebunk guests are eligible for discounted tickets!
Evenings in Kennebunk
- Ogunquit Playhouse: Featuring Broadway musicals for almost a century, the playhouse is listed on the National Historic Register and is well known for producing amazing shows. You must come for a show at “America’s Foremost Summer Theatre” during your visit.
- Bentley’s Saloon: There’s no better place to have a fun night out than Maine’s favorite biker bar! Come out for live music and a unique atmosphere with motorcycles hanging from the ceiling.